Tips and tricks for waterproofing around the house
When it comes to waterproofing your roof or basement, you will need to take specific steps to make your job easier and more effective. If followed, these processes will reduce the chances of any errors or need for any re-dos.
First, irrespective of the type of surface you need to waterproof, you must ensure that it is clean. Otherwise, the waterproofing product will not adhere properly. A clean surface is a key to applying the waterproofing membranes successfully. Clean the substrates to make sure that it is dust-free. You may sweep or vacuum, though wiping them with a damp cloth is highly recommended.
After cleaning, you should follow these steps:
- Select the right type of primer because it will vary according to the specific type of waterproofing membrane you wish to use. Consult a waterproofing expert or the product sheet if you are in doubt.
- Consider the coverage area because it will determine the cost, the application techniques, viscosity, and the application rate.
Once you are done with it, you should now proceed with the actual waterproofing process.
Advice for waterproofing
Moisture is a big issue inside the home. It is not only frustrating for the homeowner, but it can damage the interior décor and belongings, encourage mold growth or cause various health issues. These problems are caused mainly due to water leakage. First, you should find out the source of these leakages and fix it and only after that then go ahead with your waterproofing.
There are several different methods for waterproofing, all of which are effective. However, selecting the right way is of paramount importance, and it should be based on the type of surface. For this reason, you should hire a waterproofing expert who has an impressive track record of working on several homes like yours.
These methods vary according to the needs such as:
- Installation of the drainage system which needs to be tailored according to the foundation of your home and
- Repairing a crack in the foundation wall through which water seeps inside by using an epoxy injection to deal with the seepage issue.
No matter the situation and the issue, experienced waterproofing professionals can help you deal with them. They will find the best techniques for waterproofing, considering the conditions and the contingencies related to it.
Tips and tricks
To waterproof your basement, you will need to consider these additional tips and tricks that most waterproofing experts would suggest:
- Land sloping: Make sure that it is not towards your home’s direction because the gravitational force will help the water penetrate through the walls.
- Basement windows: Make sure that these are correctly sealed to prevent the rainwater from coming inside.
- Condensation: Do not allow any condensation of moisture inside your home. Ensure that it is proper and enough ventilation to circulate the air and prevent the temperature from falling or buildup. You can use a dehumidifier in hot weather and heater during winter, for that matter. You may even insulate the water pipes.
As for the roof, you should check the ventilation, chimney, lightbox, and even the attic for leaks and repair before waterproofing. Make sure that each of these has proper sealing. The same applies to the terrace tiles.
These are some useful tips for waterproofing that will help you a lot over the years to appreciate your property’s value.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.