Home Extensions: things to know before you start
Most home owners suffer from massive space problems and constantly plan to shift to bigger homes. But buying a new property is an expensive venture and you need to spend a huge amount of money at a time. If you have these space problems in your home then you can try some home extension plans. Through this method, you can make some separate rooms and design your home with additional storage space. However, when it comes to extending your domestic space, there are certain important aspects that need to be taken into consideration. Home extension is a long-term project which involves budgeting, planning and, at the same time, taking care of various legal aspects.
How do you conduct your home extension?
- Ceiling Heights: Make sure that you maintain the minimum ceiling height that has been mentioned in the building regulations. The height from floor to ceiling should be at least 2.1 meters.
- Site Insurance: This is another very important aspect. You need to get the site insured so that in case of any kind of mishaps, you can claim the financial benefits
- The Building Regulations: Before you get on with it, you need to be aware about the various aspects of Building Regulations. Get in touch with an expert for suggestions and advice.
- Proper Planning: Home extensions are an expensive affair. It is almost impossible to sketch the layout of the home extension by yourself and you should hire some professional architects and planners, who are experienced in this segment. They can provide you with professional templates and you can choose the layout accordingly.
Tips to complete your home extension project
Now that you know about what legal formalities and other important aspects need to be considered before you start a home extension project, here are a few other tips to help you along:
- Set the Budget: Setting a budget is of utmost importance. You should know exactly what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend for it.
- Find a right Designer: Home extensions are all about architectural work. So, letting an expert take care of it would be a smart move.
- Right Builder: Now that you have prepared your budget and have a blueprint for your home extension, it’s time to hire a builder. Things can get a bit confusing, since there are so many available options out there, but it’s always a good idea to start your search online. You can also find their previous projects on their official website, and compare their price range with other builders. As you can see, it’s very easy nowadays to hire the builder from online portals.
- Landscaping: If you have enough space to play with, then landscaping is another option you should consider. What makes this a feasible idea is the fact that there are numerous budget savvy landscaping options which are available to the public.
- Be Innovative: While preparing the design with your architect, think outside the box: it is not only about extending your home in terms of its size, it is also about making it look attractive.
- Materials: You need to be very careful when it comes to selecting the materials for your home extension. Investing a bit more money can go a long way when it comes to the longevity of your project.
One more important thing before you start: be sure to inform all your neighbors about your home extension, the length of the project and changes you are going to bring to the landscape.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
Really good list here, it’s so important to know what you’re in for when you’re planning an extension – there’s quite a lot to go through! Especially notifying the neighbourhood – our neighbours are awful for that, just constant construction without any warning.